Job Posting: Farm assistant
Employer: Ferme Lève-tôt
Location: 460 Chemin Kalalla, Low, Québec (1 hour north of Ottawa)
The farm assistant will work with the farm managers in all aspects of vegetable production and marketing, including:
– Harvest and packing for CSA and farmer’s market.
– Greenhouse work: seeding, watering, and maintenance
– Field work: weeding, seeding, transplanting, irrigation, cultivation, trellising, etc.
– Participation in farm events: CSA deliveries, farmer’s market.
– Interest in working on an organic farm and learning farm systems
– Strength and endurance
– Prior work on a farm and/or doing other outdoor physical work
– Experience with tools and building materials
– Ability to work well with others and on your own
– Bilingualism is an asset
– A driver’s license is an asset
– A positive attitude is a must!
Skills you will learn include:
– Crop management and planning
– CSA management and marketing
– Organic pest and weed control
– Season extension methods
– Hand tool and tractor work, and equipment maintenance
– Access to our farm library
– Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm, 40 hours/week, beginning of May to end of October.
– Wages: Starting at $10.55/hour, depending on experience.
Lodging, food and transportation:
– Accommodation is in a one-room cabin or small trailer with access to an outdoor kitchen, outhouse and outdoor running water, wireless high-speed internet, laundry (at farmhouse), seasonal produce from the farm. You are responsible for your own transportation to and from the farm.
About the farmers:
We love to farm! We are a certified organic farm in our 7th year of production. We grow about 50 varieties of vegetables, which we sell through a 100-share CSA basket program and at the Wakefield farmer’s market. We are looking for someone who is passionate about farming and whose life goal includes working on or starting a farm.
Richard Williams and Charlotte Scott